Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vodka

Last night was take-out Chinese and ice water for dinner. (I don't drink wine EVERY night, people!) Since I don't consider shrimp with lobster sauce to be worthy of a blog (though it was delicious), I'll make today's blog an AA-worthy confession.

Hello. I'm Nina Scott and I can't drink vodka.

Damn, that was hard to say. See, I really like vodka. I could wax lyrical about the sweet and tart taste of a pomegranite martini on a hot day, or the marvelous complexity of flavors that an icy shot of vodka gives to a mouthful of caviar, or the sensual feeling of sipping a dirty martini prior to ordering the perfect steak . . . well, you get the idea.

Somehow, some way, over the past two years my aging body has betrayed me. Oh, I still look good, but like last year’s iPod and the 9-year-old hot water heater we replaced yesterday, some things don’t function as well as they used to.

It all started one New Year's Eve with the aforementioned iced shots and caviar. I had wine that evening too, and a glass of champagne, and the next thing I knew the room was spinning and I was having an intimate encounter with The Great Porcelain God. Surely that was an aberration? Alas, no. After the second (or maybe the third - I'm kind of stubborn) time I had that reaction, my wise friend Travis, affectionately known by fellow ex-cult members as the District Overbeer, told me I should never mix the grain with the grape. Okay, fine. I could do that. Just vodka or just wine in an evening - no big.

That philosophy worked once or twice, but no more. The final straw was when vertigo hit after sipping only HALF of a long-awaited and excellent White Russian. I give up. No more Absolut. No more Tito's Handmade Vodka (excellent and made in Texas, by the way). No more [*sob*] pomegranite martinis, the mainstay of my Texas summers.

May my liver rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. White Russians have got to be my favorite drink. And, to be quite honest, I am not much of Vodka person. I, unfortunately, am gaining a little more of a taste for it. There is this interesting vodka I saw in an ad in GQ or Esquire. It's called: Effen Vodka. I still haven't had it yet because it is hard to find. But I intend to try it one day soon.

    My dirty little secret: When working late evenings on my book (or whatever I happen to be writing at the time) I can drink Kahlua and Creams until my brain starts to slip (usually after about five or six hours). This isn't an every night event, but it's nice and relaxing when I'm working like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vodka martini. Extra dry. Shaken not stirred.

    Tito's is an excellent vodka, very smooth and it mixes well. But I think I'm more of a fan of Absolut. I was introduced to it during Nina's fashion shows 10 years ago.

    Vodka is better than gin, which has a bitter aftertaste. And besides nothing is better with caviar than chilled vodka. Just sayin'.


    Chris

    ReplyDelete