Saturday, November 6, 2010

Scotch First, Then Wine . . .

As I sit here, sipping on a nice Layer Cake shiraz (from South Australia, 2009) and munching on Lindt dark touch-of-sea-salt chocolate, I am reflecting on the week that was. Oh, sure, it was incredibly busy -- always is -- but some of it was FUN busy and, in addition to the Parker Wine Cellars tasting (next post -- I'm running behind), I went to the Preiss Imports Tasting Festival at Sigel's. This was not a wine tasting but a Scotch and liqueur tasting at the Sigel's store down the street from my office.

It was a dark and stormy night . . . Well, not really, but it WAS raining and rather chilly. I do believe the hot summer is finally a memory and we have moved into autumn with chilly nights and cooler days. I love this time of year.

The program allowed for 12 tastings, and the vendors were generous with their helpings (which made me glad that traffic was moving at about 25 mph on the way home). I tasted:
Springbank 15-year Single Malt Scotch (pretty good)
Benriach 16-year Single Malt Scotch (pretty good)
Duncan Taylor Glenlivet 1970 Single Malt Scotch (REALLY good . . . but see next one)
Armorik French Single Malt Whisky (this one made me sit up and take notice -- I've never had a French single malt Whisky, and was more than pleasantly surprised. The smooth flavor really stood out, and there was a delicate finish that made me enjoy this as much if not more than the 40-year-old Glenlivet.)
Leopold Gourmel Cognac Ade des Fleurs (very nice)
English Harbor 5-year Rum (YES! This is really good and, if Santa's listening, I want a bottle for Christmas. It's not for mixing with fruit juice, but for gentle evenings -- assuming I have any -- with a glass or snifter in front of a fire.)
Brewdog Hardcore I.P.A. (Beer. I know, seems odd at a Scotch tasting, but it was AUSTRALIAN beer, which makes it okay. And pretty good too!)
Luxardo Amaro Liqueur (seriously orange-flavored liqueur, not too sweet, and had me thinking about the recipes I could make with this -- crepes, cakes, or just a lovely after-dinner drink)
Luxardo Grappa (just because I've never had any before but heard of it. Didn't dislike it, but it was unremarkable.)
Parfair Amour Creme de Violet Liqueur (very nice -- the violets were unmistakable but not overpowering, and I was thinking that sugar cookies with a touch of violet liqueur would be quite delicious.)

All in all, it was a very satisfying evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment