Monday, November 22, 2010

Beaujolais Nouveau 2010 C'est Arrive!


No wine blog would be complete without some kind of tribute to Beaujolais Nouveau, since it's such a big deal. The funny thing is, the wonder of Beaujolais Nouveau is really the wonder of really good marketing. Oh, it's a nice wine -- light, sparkling, with a definite YOUNG flavor about it -- but it's the hype that really gets us every year.

Wikipedia has a very nice article about the origins of Beaujolais Nouveau: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaujolais_nouveau, which I am too lazy to paraphrase. Suffice to say we had a good time trying it at Taste of Texas, a little wine shop in historic downtown Plano. I do enjoy the big labels that large stores like Sigel's will bring in for their wine tastings, but I'm partial to the small, individually owned stores because they bring heart and passion to their business, which is evident at both Parker Wine Cellars and Taste of Texas. Now if we could just get a small family French restaurant in Murphy, I'd be a happy gourmand.

However, back to the Thanksgiving countdown! We have the wine ready for the feast. I picked up a smoked turkey from the Harry & David Outlet Store ($39.99 on sale, 10 lbs., and tastes better than anything I could make) and I have a standing request by my son to make pumpkin pie. (My friend Sheila made one using crushed walnuts, stevia and melted butter for the crust, thereby making it Atkins-friendly, which sounds DELICIOUS.) Margaret is in charge of mashed potatoes and gravy, Chris is going to attempt oyster stuffing, I'm making traditional stuffing, and I think we have a ham coming on board, as well as some veggie sides. Oh, and I'm going to try to make that focaccia that takes parts of two days, because that is REALLY good, as well as some traditional rolls. I think we're having 16 people, consisting of friends and relatives of friends, and I am most thankful for all of them and the love we have for each other.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment