Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Turkey Meatloaf, San Antonio & Herb Kelleher


Herb Kelleher, Chairman Emeritus of Southwest Airlines, really doesn't have anything to do with my turkey meatloaf. It's just that all three events took place in the same day. I had to be in San Antonio today for a business meeting, and Herb Kelleher happened to be on the same return flight as I, so I played the proper groupie and got a hug and a photo with the great man. I complimented him on his airline and he modestly said "it's the people working for it who make it great." Such a sweet man!

The meeting ended early, so I was on an earlier flight than I had previously booked and I got home in time to cook dinner. I found a recipe on Epicurious.com for turkey meatloaf and decided to give it a try. Here's the recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Turkey-Meatloaf-107599 (because I'm WAY too tired to type the whole thing out and I like to give proper credit for anything I post here.

I like meatloaf. My mother made a pretty good one, with bread and sometimes sausage and lots of spices mixed in with the ground meat. The leftovers made wonderful sandwiches. I wanted to try a turkey meatloaf because I wanted something a little lighter and healthier. This recipe had carrots and mushrooms in it and sounded flavorful. It really did have a good flavor but the consistency was a little too smooth for my taste. I may play around with it, or not, depending on how the leftovers taste. Jennie wasn't too impressed with it, Chris said it was good, and Jackson ate all of it. CAVEAT: Since "Halo Reach" for XBox came out today, I am not sure that Jackson's opinion on anything EXCEPT Halo Reach counts for anything. It is Jennie's opinion that we could have put cat food on his plate and he would have eaten it without noticing.

I roasted asparagus with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, made mashed potatoes and homemade focaccia, and then decided I'd done a little too much cooking for someone who got up at 5 a.m. to catch a 7:30 a.m. flight.

However, at least I cooked SOMETHING!! I hate the weeks where I'm running around so much that I don't get a proper meal on the table for days. I enjoy having the time to prepare a meal -- if I'm not zooming hither and yon, I find it relaxing to make the ingredients come together to form something delicious and satisfying.

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job Nina. As always! The meatloaf was very good and I liked the veggies mixed in. I see what you're saying about the consistency but I'm good with the current recipe.

    ReplyDelete