Friday, September 24, 2010

No, This Was NOT An "Old Thunderbird" Wine Tasting Event!


Contrary to the connotations of wine in paper bags, this was a really upscale wine tasting that I attended, courtesy of the Dallas Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators, of which I am a member. We have socials every once in a while, and this one was held at Coal Vines Wine Bar in Uptown Dallas. The eight bottles, three white and five red, were part of a blind tasting to see which one(s) we liked the best. I had fun trying to guess which varietals I was drinking. They were all very good and I'm still waiting to hear from the host, who promised to contact me with the names and types of wine. I'll let you know if I was right about any of them. Coal Vines considerately served pizza, bruschetta and the most delicious meatballs to help us legal administrators keep our senses while wine tasting and networking.

And, I'm sorry to say, I missed the weekly wine tasting at Parker Wine Cellars on Thursday night. I was really and truly heading there after work, but traffic proceeded north on Central Expressway at a snail's pace and I had to get food on the table before taking my 16-year-old to a college Q&A session with the counselors at her high school. Never in the history of cooking has stir fry chicken, broccoli, mushrooms and rice been prepared so quickly or eaten as fast as it was that night. We were still 10 minutes late to the Q&A but it turns out it was aimed at seniors, not juniors. However, my daughter likes being ahead of the game, so she went home, researched colleges, art classes, and (knowing her) already has a mental list of what to do and when to start in her college prep.

I'm sorry I missed the weekly wine tasting, though, but will make amends next week. This has been an impossibly busy work week for me and creativity of any kind has taken a back seat to the Business Of The Day. However, I hope to create some Soul Food either in the kitchen or at the easel this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment