Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Perfect Storm

Well, it's not a storm, but it is perfect. After attending Comic Con with the family and going to the grocery store with a nonexistent budget (can we say "credit card until payday"?), I came home and . . . relaxed. Fixed a rum and juice and cut up a whole chicken to marinate in white wine and white pepper for fixin' a la Kirby tomorrow. Cleaned 10 chicken breasts and froze them for use during the week. Waved goodbye to Jennie (Claire's house) and Chris (Darrell's house for the Cowboys game), traded extra 14-year-olds (Mark went home/Greg showed up), and made fettucine Alfredo with shrimp and peas (Required Vegetable) for dinner.

Somewhere in all this I opened one of the last two bottles of reduced-down-to-$6 Marqués de Cáceres Rioja Rosé wine and found out to my delight that "Music and Lyrics" was playing on commercial TV. (I'm singing along -- aren't you glad you aren't here with me?) I have eaten, am contemplating making some brownies (from a mix, no extra additives so get your mind out of the gutter), and life is good.

I watched "Top Chef" while cooking dinner, which is always inspirational -- great show. It's not the precise, write-it-down type of recipes that you need, but the spark that gets YOUR creativity going, and "Top Chef" does it for me. What did I like about that anniversary dinner? Basil? Then add it to the mix. Garlic is ALWAYS good. Got shallots? Throw it in. A little wine, a little cream, sprinkle in fresh grated Parmesan, and voilá! Dinner is served.

And at some point, some day, the temperatures in Dallas, Texas will become bearable. Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment