Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Not Boring At All -- Yay Me!

Thanks to rush hour traffic that caused me to crawl home at an average speed of 15mph, I didn't have a whole lot of time to fix dinner before the taekwondo run, so as soon as I got home, the food started flying. I preheated the oven to 400 degrees, thawed out three chicken breasts and one piece of puff pastry, chopped a shallot and three cloves of garlic, chopped mushrooms, threw some noodles into boiling water, and got ready to cook. I cut the chicken breasts in half, seasoned them, and browned them on both sides while sauteeing the onions and shallots in the pan. I added white wine and actually did a pretty good reduction because I distracted myself by rolling out the puff pastry (after dividing it into six pieces). One half of a chicken breast went on each piece of pastry and then I added cream to the white wine reduction and made a nice little sauce, which I spooned sparingly over the chicken. The pastry was wrapped around each piece and popped into the oven. Olive oil, salt and garlic powder on the now finished and drained noodles. Mushrooms went into the pan in which I browned the chicken, with a little extra olive oil, so they could absorb what was left of the sauce. By the time they were done (added a little white wine to those too), the chicken was ready, so I threw everything onto plates and announced that dinner was served.

I didn't make enough chicken. The last time I did this recipe (my own invention, as far as I know), everyone said the chicken was really rich and no one could eat more than one half of a chicken breast, so I thought I'd have leftovers. I did not take into account Jackson's growth spurt and a hard second day at school. He inhaled three of the six, Jennie had two, and I was lucky to get one piece. Good thing Chris wasn't home for dinner or one of us would have gone hungry!

I like it when I surprise myself.

3 comments:

  1. I like it when you surprise yourself too. Jackson said the chicken was great. And so we have the 14 year old food critic review.

    I'm glad they had enough and I'm even more pleased that you enjoyed the recipe so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a "guest post" by your 14 yr old food critic might be fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete