Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I Hate It When I Get Behind . . .


You know how psychologists say that we all have a movie of ourselves playing in our head? Well, I have this blog in mine, and I think of great things to write, but then real life picks me up and gallops off in another direction. However, before I get TOO behind, I shall write about pork butt. [NOTE: Pun alert . . . butt . . . behind . . . GET IT???]

So Fiesta Mart had a great sale on pork butts. I bought one, cut it in half, froze one half and contemplated what I was going to do with the other half. The Food Network show "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" is always good for inspiration, and I love watching the cooks throw spices at a piece of meat and have it come out delicious.

That's what I did to the half-a-pork-butt: I threw my BBQ rub on it (equal parts of brown sugar, smoked paprika, and Cajun seasoning) and put it in the crock pot with some white wine, parts of an onion that looked like it was about to be unusable, and . . . a whole dried ancho chile. Now, on the show, the cooks reverently allow the meat to marinate in the spices overnight, but I rarely think that far ahead -- well, I THINK that far ahead, I just usually don't get up and DO it. So I threw it all in the crock pot on my way out the door to catch the bus.

Well, it was delicious. Maybe with the other half I'll see if marinating it overnight deepens the flavor, but it was just FINE as it came out. The ancho chile deepened the flavor of the BBQ seasonings, and the meat was melt-in-your-mouth tender. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment