Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Melange


I am surrounded by talented cooks! I may just hang this up and let all my friends and relatives write guest columns about their creations.

The combination of crisp bacon, silky dark chocolate, and a glass of shiraz may seem like a strange taste sensation but it is actually quite delicious. My friend Rick, who is an excellent and imaginative cook, suggested that I try this, so since I do on occasion take orders well (but don't push your luck) I dutifully picked up a bar of dark chocolate and a $4.79 (on sale at Walgreen's) bottle of David Stone Shiraz. That was both an experiment on the merits of a wine in that price range and the potential need for cooking wine . . . just in case. Actually, the shiraz wasn't half bad so we'll be drinking it, except for what I'm going to splash into the chuck roast I'm cooking tomorrow.

Rick said that the chocolate should be soft enough so that the smooth texture is set off by the crunch of the crisp bacon. The mixture of sweet and salty is tantalizing, and a mouthful of wine brings it all together to make a fourth flavor. You'll find yourself taking more bites and drinks in an effort to describe the taste. It makes a delicious end to a meal.

Chocolate has been undergoing a lot of transformation lately. Last month at Central Market, during the Hatch Chile Festival, a local confectioner made chocolate toffee infused with Hatch Chile oil. Wow! The first bite is pure chocolate toffee, sweet and delicious, and then as it's ingested the chile oil sneaks up on you and your mouth explodes with flavor.

I do love how the chocolate industry has moved from a simple Hershey chocolate bar to vibrant gourmet creations!

1 comment:

  1. It's been years, but N and I took a cooking class at Star Canyon, where they gave us a recipe for dark chocolate chili pepper cheese cake. DIVINE! While my tummy doesn't tolerate dairy anymore, the memory of it was very much like your chocolate toffee description.

    ReplyDelete