Monday, October 18, 2010

Jambalaya

As promised and with permission of the cook (and my very good friend) Karen Guillory Yeargin of Hammond, Louisiana, I present you with an easy and delicious recipe for Jambalaya:

JAMBALAYA


1 medium green pepper, chopped

1/2 onion chopped

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 tsp. vegetable oil

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into strips), smoked sausage, shrimp, crawfish,oysters, etc..

2 Tbsp. Creole seasoning

1 can(14 1/2 oz. ) diced tomatoes undrained

1 cup water

1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)

2 cups uncooked rice


Heat oil in large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and celery; cook until tender crisp. Add preferred meats cook until done. Add tomatoes water and tomato sauce and seasoning. Bring to a boil,add seafood, stir in rice, cover and let cook about 25 min or until liquid is absorbed.

makes 6 servings

* * *
I just used chicken and Andouille sausage in mine, but I think I'm going to make a big pot of this for Hallowe'en and add seafood and some olives to the mix. It's really delicious!

Tonight was Chris' turn to cook and he did shishkabobs of marinated grilled steak, chicken, shrimp and mushrooms. They were really delicious, and with the leftovers I'm going to make fried rice tomorrow night (and will find the recipe and post the link, for those of you who are interested). The marinade took some time to make, though, so it might be something to prepare the night before and then cook the next day, unless it's one of those lazy days when you have 3-4 hours to wander about the kitchen. Sometimes I enjoy doing that, but most of the time I'm rushing around so I look for shortcuts.

1 comment:

  1. How did everyone like the Jambalaya? I wish I could have been there to enjoy it with you guys! I have another one that's Atkin's friendly, you might like to try that. It calls for linguine, but you can eliminate that and viola`, you have Atkin's friendly!

    ReplyDelete