Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pasta Primavera and a Wine Tasting Evening


Last week was rough. By the time Friday rolled around, I was ready for comfort food and down time.

My comfort food is spaghetti with some type of olive-oil/butter based sauce. I chopped up shallots and garlic and mushrooms and sauteed them in olive oil, then added vermouth and simmered it down, finishing with a pat of butter. I swirled the cooked spaghetti in the sauce and topped it with shaved parmesan/reggiano cheese and a chiffonade of fresh basil. It was awesome, exactly what I needed.

Saturday night was reserved for a wine tasting at a friend's house, hosted by Premier Wines of Plano (http://www.premierwines.org/). I was very impressed, both by the wine selection and by the presenter, Luke, who really knew what he was talking about.

We tried 13 different types of wine, and there was plenty of opportunities to ask questions and throw in comments. It was informal and informative, and a lot of fun (not just because we all swallowed the tastings instead of spitting like professionals -- silly professionals!). My favorites were two by Dante: their pinot noir and cabernet sauvignon. At $22 a bottle, they were out of my post-divorce price range, alas, but it was still really fun to try them all out.

Good friends, good food, good wine = good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment