Sunday, October 2, 2011

You Get What You Pay For


This was NOT my best meal. Jackson came over for dinner tonight, so of course I wanted to do something delicious. My budget, however, was less than nothing, so when I saw three T-bones at Fiesta Mart for a total of $4.84, I grabbed them. I made homemade French fries, red wine sauce with mushrooms, steamed broccoli, homemade rolls and chocolate chip cookies.

Those, steaks, though, brought back memories of Australia. I don't mean the "shrimp on the barbie" succulence that Outback Steak House promotes as the taste of Australia. MY taste of Australia, way back in 1970-73, was of paper thin steaks slapped onto a greasy piece of hot metal with flies buzzing around. The steaks were tough (which is why they were thin -- you couldn't chew them if they were any thicker) and tasteless. The beer was great, though, so usually by the time the steaks were charred and pronounced "ready," everyone was too buzzed to care. Love that Aussie beer . . .

The flavor of the steaks was passable, but they were tough and, definitely, worth what I paid for them. They won't go to waste, though. I have Murphy the basset hound staying with me for three days, and I'm SURE he'll know EXACTLY what to do with the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment