Sunday, April 10, 2011

Changes

King Whitney Jr. once said: "Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better."

That's okay -- I don't know who King Whitney Jr. is either . . . but it's a good quote.

In the space of seven days in March, my divorce was finalized (March 15), I closed on my new house (March 21) and I got laid off (March 22). The last was not totally unexpected but pretty horrible timing. I look on all of it as a chance for new adventures. Of course, I'm actively searching for a new job, and I have a few possibilities. I'm moving into the new house this coming weekend.

Since I'm unemployed, I have new challenges to face (besides paying the mortgage). Originally, I thought the old house would be sold by now and I'd have half of the profits to furnish my new house comfortably. Unfortunately, thanks to the economy, that hasn't happened, so in addition to unemployment and a new house, I still have my half of the bills for the old house to keep up with.

As I look around at what I will be moving to the new house, it's easy to think I'll need this or that or I MUST buy this, but I've started a new game with myself: my goal is to spend NOTHING on furnishing the new house but make do with what I have. I have a lot of my parents' things (pots & pans, miscellaneous side and kitchen tables) that have been stored in the garage. I have a double bed that was in the guest room and that I will use for myself until I can afford a queen size bed. I have an inflatable bed that can be put in the guest room. I can use a laundromat until I can afford a washer/dryer, or, if I can afford a washer, I can dry clothes the old-fashioned way -- on a clothesline. (They smell better that way, anyway.)

I may not be able to afford wine for a while, but my cooking is going to get creative and, hopefully, even healthier. So join me in my new adventure, and let's see where it leads!

No comments:

Post a Comment